Thursday, May 19, 2011

life these days

we have been in california for a week now and we are settling in to our life here for the summer. we found a studio apartment 5 mins away from Geoff's job, which is a huge blessing. on days i need to use the car i am able to just bring him to work in the morning. Geoff is getting settled into his job and the responsibilities he will be having. he leaves by 7:45 am and is home around 5:00 pm. while he is gone all day i hang out with Cora, which involves feedings every two hours, diaper changing, playing, cooing at each other, napping (Cora that is, cause when she is asleep i am doing my online BYU classes), and making dinner for when Dad gets home. my days really do fly by and I'm sometimes not jumping into the shower till 20 mins before Geoff gets home. I like to be somewhat ready for the day when he gets home, looking half way decent!
we are living very simply this summer. we only
brought the essentials (1 frying pan, 1 pot, a whisk, our blender of course - gotta have our daily smoothies, clothes, etc.) I swear we brought more stuff for Cora than for ourselves. we're even sleeping on the floor - we have those thick camping mats that are pretty comfortable (see pictures below). i'm really liking our simple life. i find myself being more inventive with dinners since i'm so limited with cookware, and being in a small studio apartment isn't that bad for a family of three. we just have one main room, a separate kitchen, a separate bathroom, and a walk in closet that leads you form the main room into the bathroom. the furniture you see in the pictures is from our grandma georgia out here and our aunt linda and uncle mitch. they have lent us their coffee table, a lamp, a bookshelf/night stand, and a card-playing table with 4 chairs. this stuff has really saved us and made it feel more homey. we are so grateful for family close by! the only struggle we have had with this apartment is the urine smell in the carpet from the previous tenants who had many many cats! febreeze has become my new best friend!!
we are definitely the minority here in San Gabriel (just outside of Pasadena). it seems the majority of the population is Asian. all the stores are even written in Chinese characters as well as in English. the first day we got here we went for a drive to explore the area and we were in shock to see Asians in every car that passed by, on every street corner, and for all the signs in store fronts to be written in both English and Chinese.
luckily we have a costco 15 mins away. that is a must! we were two of maybe 5 whites in the store the other day, the rest were asian. i had never seen a costco crowd like that before!
Cora is doing well. she was pretty fussy the first few days we were here. i think she could sense that we were in a new place and was a little out of her sorts. she is doing much better now. she gets cuter and cuter every day. i really love having her here with me all day. it would be pretty lonely without her!
i am feeling much better in my recovery process from birthing a child. it has been a pretty rough time for me, but I seem to be mostly healed now and I am enjoying working out again. I started P90X up again this week and it is kicking my butt! I thought it was hard pre-pregnancy, but now I am realizing how strong I really was before having a baby. my core muscles just are not the same anymore, but i can tell they are waking up. i'm excited that i am fitting back into my normal clothes again, it'll be good not to have to wear maternity pants anymore.
well, we are happy and settling in to a routine this summer. these three months will go quickly and we will be back in provo before we know it.
our Bedroom

Cora's Corner

the Kitchen

the Dining Room

the Bathroom

very simple, but just what we need for the summer!



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad ya'll are all settled in and doing well. I haven't had too much time to miss ya'll yet since I left right before ya'll did and just got back yesterday. But, I know I will! I'm still so sad that we missed Easter! It was such bad luck that Cade got sick on the way there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking of calling or texting you to see how things were going! Glad things are well and that you are so close to Geoff's job, that is truly a blessing. We miss you and obviously can't wait til you get back to Provo-we will have to live it up next fall before you leave again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see how you're doing! What an adventure :) I hope work goes well for Geoff this summer and that you and Cora have lots of fun in LA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was just thinking about yall the other day because we drive past an extended stay hotel and i remember you were thinking of staying there for the summer. i am glad you found a place and things are going good!

    ReplyDelete